Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development is considering zoning changes in and around Porter Square to be in line with Comprehensive Plan.
- 5-15 years
- (3/12/12) Zoning changes taken up by Land Use Committee, neighborhood opposition.
- Neighborhood opposition, due to fear of change, tax increases, height and traffic increases.
- Continued advocacy for Green Line extension to Porter Square.
- Zoning changes contemplated for Wilson Square, Somerville Avenue, White Street, Elm Street, and Mossland Street, as well as the MBTA Air Rights.
- Potential zoning changes include architectural design, height, uses, setbacks, dimensional configuration, and parking for each of the key areas.
- Too-rapid change of neighborhood zoning causing neighborhood opposition, resulting in stagnation.
- Short-term benefits, long-term costs.
- Losing sight of Green Line extension to Porter Square.
- Monitor and participate.
- Porter Square Visioning Process
- (5/31/09) Vision for Porter Square Testimony
- Beacon Street Hotel Project
- (2/15/12) Zoning changes passed by Planning Board, neighborhood opposition.
- (9/14/11) Sixth Visioning meeting scheduled to present zoning changes for Wilson Square and Porter Square.
- (5/24/11) Third Visioning meeting scheduled.