McCarthy Overpass (the McGrath Highway flyover toward Boston) is falling down. The overpass cuts Somerville and Cambridge in pieces. Somerville would like to return McGrath to a boulevard.
- 5-10 years
- (8/11/15) Interim Improvements Update scheduled
- (5/28/15) McGrath/McCarthy Project Update
- (7/17/14) McGrath/McCarthy Public Meeting Scheduled
- (11/13/13) McGrath Corridor Streetscape Improvements Meeting
- (9/14/11) Community meeting on redesign.
- Temporary corridor improvements
- McGrath highway design.
- Making McGrath a boulevard as it originally was.
- Establish connections between neighborhoods separated by the highway.
- Lower traffic speeds, reduce noise and pollution
- Make more pedestrian and bike friendly
- Add green space.
- Changes for expediency becoming permanent commitments
- Treating McGrath as a superhighway flyover.
- Returning McGrath to status quo, which cuts East Somerville in pieces.
- Lack of integration with Green Line Extension.
- Attend meetings and especially public hearings.
- McCarthy Overpass on McGrath Highway (Rte 28)
- Remove McGrath
- McGrath Highway Project Health Impact Assessment (PDF)
- (8/3/11) Grounding McGrath Working Group Meeting (PDF)
- Union Square Main Streets – Grounding McGrath
- DOT – Grounding McGrath
- Mentioned as goal of Somerville Comprehensive Plan.