Currently the Somerville Community Path connects with the Linear Path at Davis Square and ends at Cedar Street. The proposal is to extend it along the train right-of-way to the Inner Belt area and on into Boston.
- 2-7 years
- Parallels Green Line Extension
- (8/19/15) Extension to Lowell Street Ribbon Cutting Scheduled.
- (11/21/11) Design public hearing.
- Possible contamination from the MaxPak project, which requires brownfields mitigation.
- Progress on project, which has been delayed due to lack of funding.
- Lack of funding.
- Legal liability issues.
- Contamination due to adjacent construction (cf. MaxPack).
- Integration with Green Line Extension.
- Continue advocating for funding.
- Develop solutions to liability issues.
- Advocate for good integration with Green Line Extension.
- Friends of the Community Path (Somerville)
- Friends of the Community Paths (regional)
- Somerville Bicycle Committee.
- Liveable Streets
- (12/5/10) Engineering Design Consultant for the Community Path out for bid, contract term from 1/1/2011 through 12/31/2012.
- Demolition of the existing rails from Cedar Street to around Central Street done as part of the MaxPack development near Lowell Street. Bike path contamination may be an issue.
- As of 5/0910, extension from Cedar Street to Central to bid Fall 2010, construction to begin Spring 2011.
- Phase 1 Construction included in FY 2011 Draft Transportation Improvement Plan