The state ambient air quality standards were misaligned with the national standards for lead, ozone, and particulates.
- 1-2 years
- (8/18/09) Amendments being reviewed.
- Ozone and fine particle levels near sources such as busy highways
- Definition of fine particle versus ultrafine particles.
- Health effects of ozone and fine particles.
- Standards may continue to mask local “hot spot” effects, where most health problems occur, with regional measurements.
- Standards may not adequately address local air quality issues involving fine particulates, which are particularly damaging to health.
- Advocate for local measurement and mitigation and for regulation of fine particulates.
- Public Notice
- Proposed Amendments to Air Quality Standards
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection