Transit-oriented mixed-use development in phases, starting with current big-box stores, continuing with residential development, and concluding with full buildout with office space and amenities.
- Partners Healthcare offices due to open June 2016.
- 30 years to full buildout
- (10/12/15) Parcel 6 permitted (residential over retail).
- (9/2/14) Ribbon Cutting Ceremony for Assembly Station
- (7/22/14) Assembly Row open. Urban Design Summer Series scheduled.
- Use of site downstream of Orange Line T-Stop.
- Adequate R&D in Assembly Square to provide tax revenue and jobs.
- Quality of Foley Street connection under I-93.
- The Transportation Mitigation Plan required by the settlement has not been finalized.
- The Sustainability Plan required by the settlement has not been finalized.
- Urban design and site plan for 10 M s.f. Long Term Vision for Assembly Square
- Implications for transit-oriented mixed use development.
- Bicycle path past the Orange Line T-Stop in Assembly Square.
- Poor transportation connections to Somerville that inhibit high-quality development.
- Opportunistic short-term proposals that obstruct better development.
- Monitor urban design of connections to Somerville.
- Monitor adherence to development plans through Assembly Square PAC and state and city permitting process.
- Analyze implications of opportunistic proposals and respond as necessary.
- (4/23/14) Assembly Row Job Fair scheduled
- (3/1/14, 3/2/14, 3/8/14, 3/9/14) Assembly Row Job Fairs scheduled.
- (12/10/13) Partners Healthcare to move 4500 jobs into Assembly Square.
- (7/28/13) Beat Report: 7/21/13 Snaps of Assembly Square and Somerville
- (2/21/13) Planning Board review of two buildings at Block 2.
- (1/31/13) Design review of two buildings, one with office space, at Block 2.
- (1/24/13) Hearing scheduled on allowing a large one-story grocery on IKEA site.
- (12/12) Federal Realty acquires 12-acre IKEA parcel, talks of installing grocery.
- DCR Section 61 Finding on Assembly Square (PDF)
- Mystic River Master Plan (PDF)
- Report of the Legislative Matters Committee, Nov. 9, 2010 (PDF)
- Assembly Square Change-of-Use Ordinance
- Assembly Square Self-Storage Ordinance (PDF)
- Assembly Square Ch 91 Tidelands Application
- Assembly Square FEIR Testimony (4/22/10)
- Final EIR Contents (3/15/10)
- Minutes of IKEA Design Review by Somerville Design Committee (PDF) (11/19/09)
- Somerville City Government has done its part in support of iCubed funding for the roadways and other infrastructure in Assembly Square (PDF) (11/9/09) .
- Assembly Square Mixed-Use District
- Summary of Assembly Square Settlement Terms.
- Somerville Code of Ordinances
- Assembly Square Mixed-Use District Zoning (PDF)
- MassHighway Improvements Hearing Notice (PDF)
- Somerville Comprehensive Plan Process
- (4/30/12) Assembly Row groundbreaking.
- (10/20/11) Block 3 passed Planning Board.
- (10/5/11) Blocks 1 and 4 passed Planning Board.
- (9/29/11) Blocks 1, 3, 4 in A.S. DIF area in front of Design Review Committee.
- (7/14/11) IKEA special permit extended for another year by Planning Board.
- (5/2/11) Assembly Square DIF bond issue passed.
- (3/31/11) Assembly Square DIF bond hearing scheduled.
- (10/30/10) There is talk of creating a District Improvement Financing program for Assembly Square, in addition to the iCubed program.
- (9/19/10) Discussions begin on connections to East Somerville via Foley Street near proposed SSG self-storage development.
- (9/16/10) Assembly Square Self-Storage Ordinance filed.
- (9/13/10) Public Hearing on Ch. 9 license.
- (9/2/10) Minor amendment to dedicate Assembly Square Drive to city.
- (7/15/10) Amendment to Assembly Square Master Plan applied for to bring in line with plan described in FEIR.
- (7/15/10) Ch. 91 license application being prepared for improvements in mixed-use portion of project adjacent to the Mystic.
- (7/15/10) Ch. 91 license application submitted for stormwater outfall.
- (6/9/10) Infrastructure improvements begun to upgrade streets and utilities in Assembly Square. IKEA development to not start until improvements complete.
- (3/25/10) FEIR comment period closed 3/23/10.
- (3/15/10) Final EIR issued. Comment period open until 3/23/10.
- As of 12/29/09, IKEA was due to begin construction in Spring 2010. When IKEA opens, the Transportation Mitigation Plan and the Sustainability Plan will both go into effect.
- Mass Highway plans presented. MassHighway changes comment period over August 3, 2009.
- Development plan decided upon.